But recently I stumbled onto an article on how attachment affects adulthood. It´s a good reminder of why this is so important.
- Secures have a greater sense of general well-being -- they are more self-confident and more balanced and realistic in their expectations of themselves
- Under stress, secures stick to the task better -- they don´t become either highly emotional or deny the problem
- Secures are less likely to use alcohol for coping
- Secures are happier in relationships and are less distant, defensive or distressed by feeling vulnerable
- Secures are less frustrated with their partners, less ambivalent about their relationships and less jealous, clinging or fearful of abandonment
- Secures become angry less often, but they see anger as more constructive, feel better during arguments, see less hostility in their partners´ intentions and expect more positive outcomes
- Secure are more likely to see their partners as trustworthy friends and can accept their faults
- Secures are less likely to show physiological arousal when separated from their partners
- Secures are less likely to engage in sex without feeling love for their sexual partners
This is good information though. I´ve done right by my kids. I really hope this is true and that they will have great relationships because they are secure.