Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Ranty Blogpost




K, I guess this blog is chalk-full of rants. I love getting worked up about any number of things. Inner peace, I'm putting you on hold for a minute while I rant about ethics tonight.

I can't stand scammers. First a big caveat -- I am not a saint, many people would consider some of my behaviour incredibly unethical. They are not me. And no one should judge. Fine. But I've got to get this off my chest.

It really burns me to see people working the system, trying to get something for nothing. Tonight I heard a fellow public servant brag about working only one hour per day. He's proud of the fact that he purchased a brand new SUV he didn't need so he could have it shipped overseas and back on the fed's dime for a 2-yr foreign assignment, just so he could avoid paying taxes. He's proud of this. It turns my stomach. Someone ends up paying asshole! What is it about cheating that's so appealing? Maybe this guy feels like he's really stickin' it to the man? Problem is, it becomes a way of life, you don't even realize you're doing it anymore and you pass it on to your kids.  Also, think of the wasted time inventing new ways to scam the system. And in turn, society has to invest in anti-fraud -- people, policies, technology. I sound completely polly-anna here when I say that if everyone just did the right thing because it was the right thing to do .... I can't even finish my sentence. It's hopeless.

Next time this dude brags about his scams, I'm going to voice my objection. He won't change, but at least he'll know that not everyone thinks that this is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment