Sunday, November 6, 2011

Depressed

A friend of mine who is clinically depressed told me that he's going through a particularly bad bout of depression lately. It was so bad the other night that he couldn't get suicidal thoughts out of his head. Hearing him say that scared the shit out of me. Don't do it! Was all I could say. How comforting is that for someone who sees no other way out of the darkness. I was completely sympathetic, knowing full well how unbearably hopeless it can feel. And then part of me was angry that he laid that on me. I have a hard enough time dealing with my own neurosis. I don't even know him well enough to understand what's causing his pain. And frankly it's not my responsibility. But then we owe it to each other to be there during the tough times. Friendships aren't all sunshine and rainbows afterall. Thankfully he appears to be on the mend. Here's hoping that the next time the wave of depression smacks him down, I'll be better able to throw him a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment