Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Gift ware


Nothing says "I really don't know what you want or need and I don't know what your taste is, but feel obligated to get you something" more then gift ware. Why do they even call it that -- it's not much of a gift. My spouse despises it -- chotskies, dust-collectors, tacky. If I start purging, my extended family will eventually notice it's missing -- "what happened to that Christmas tray I got you?" Worse yet might be the desire to buy me more -- "I thought you had more serving bowls then this, I'll pick some up for you next time I'm at Winners". PLEASE NO -- save your money, I don't need more gifts.

This one's tough because I enjoy entertaining -- every aspect of it, from carefully planning my menu weeks in advance, to spending the day after leisurely tidying up (and slightly hung-over :-)). I love to watch my guests enjoying my food and each other's company and am attached to some of the dinner wear that's been with me through it all.

So what to the purge? If it's not my favourite, then it's gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment