Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Million Little Pieces


I've just read "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey and I just have to write some of it down. The simplicity and honesty is so refreshing:

"From where I sit, all Religion and Spiritual Thought are the same thing. They exist to make People feel better about living, to give them some kind of moral code and to help them feel better about dying by promising something better when their life ends, provided they follow all of God's Rules. I think it's bullshit. I don't need something that doesn't exist to tell me how to live.
.... I think God is something that People use to avoid reality. I think faith allows life, this existence, this consciousness, or whatever word you want to use for it, is all we have and all we'll ever have. I think People have faith because they want and need to believe in something, whatever that something is, because life can be hard and depressing and brutal if you don't."

Here's some more, equally enlightening:

"What is more important, fame or integrity. What is more valuable, money or happiness. What is more dangerous, success or failure. If you look to others for fulfillement, you will never be fulfilled. If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have and take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.

....life is not difficult unless I allow it to be. A second is no more than a second, a minute no more than a minute, a day no more than a day. They pass. All things and all time will pass. Don't force or fear, don't control or lose control. Don't fight and don't stop fighting. Embrace and endure. If you embrace, you will endure. ... What is going to happen is going to happen. It is simply life and the events that occur during the term of life. ... I will accept the events in my life as they come. I will deal with them. Good and bad they will both come. I will accept them in the way that I am accepting myself right now. Let them come."

I could read this a hundred times over.

No comments:

Post a Comment