Friday, September 30, 2011

Occupy Wall Street



This demonstration against corporate greed and lack of accountability both on wall street and in government makes me shudder. It's the G20 all over again. And it will produce the same outcome -- hundreds of innocent people will have their rights (rights to freedom of expression and association) stripped from them, the police will use unnecessary force to shut down dissension, the media will portray the protesters as a bunch of hippie anarchists and the rest of the world won't bat an eye. It makes me SICK.
So, what am I going to do about it? Pull my money out of the big bank? Sell my financial sector investments? Write a letter to my MP? SIGH. I will do nothing about it. My money is safer in the bank then under my mattress. The financial sector as evil as they are are make a shit load of money and are less risky then depleted resource of volatile tech companies. And I'm not even sure what I would say to my MP about commercial finance in Canada (we're more regulated thankfully). No, I suck. My heart is with those that are occupying wall street though. And unfortunately that's where my support starts and ends. Maybe I can do my part to raise awareness of what caused the financial crisis and also draw attention to the fact that no one has been held accountable for it. No one! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment