Sunday, June 12, 2011

The other senses



I'm always blown away by the way a scent or song can take me right back to a particular time in my life -- more than any visual cues. Today it was the song 'Wicked Game'. I was 18 again and so in love with my boyfriend. Maybe it was the wine that helped transport me to his apartment tonight. It's been years since I've thought about those feelings -- inseparable in every way. No resentment, no expectation, no obligation. I was too young to know anything about relationship baggage. Time stood still in that tiny bachelor. We were eachother's world. Man, it was another lifetime ago.
The second time a non-visual sense evoked a strong memory this week was smelling a 'scratch-n-sniff' sticker the other day, dill pickle. Ho.Li.Shit. Suddenly I was sitting on the ratty carpet at the front of my Grade 2 classroom, impatiently waiting for my turn to smell it again, thrilled about how a mere sticker could smell so realistic and wondering what pizza or root beer would smell like.
Incredible, how little we appreciate our senses. How lucky I am to have them all still working!

No comments:

Post a Comment