Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Superior, Inferior or Equal


I had the most inspiring conversation tonight with a friend who's gone through a complete spiritual awakening. It was so nice to hear from someone who's living all of the changes I want for my life. It really gave me hope that change is possible, if you keep working at it. She said that she is no longer judgemental and can see negative behaviour in others as coming from a hurt place.  She's able to separate the behaviour from the person rather than just react negatively to the behaviour. I loved hearing her say that she has confidence that she can use these tools to be a more loving and accepting parent, partner, friend, co-worker. Pure awesomeness.

I wish that we had more time to talk about this, but one little tid bit that she gave me really struck a chord -- asking myself how I view others -- as my superior, equal or inferior? She said that often we flip between superior and inferior. Her example is that we might look at our boss and feel doomed that we will never be as knowledgeable or successful as them in one instant and then turn around and think they are a complete asshole in the next. And I can see how examining how I think of myself in relation to others is valuable in improving my relationships and keeping me centred. This is great stuff and I am so grateful that I got to learn this tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment