Monday, July 25, 2011

My story - decade #2


Even though I feel like an ingrate for pissing all over my upbringing, I'll move onto journalling about the 2nd 10 years because it's always fun to reminisce. The teen years were not fun -- acne, perms gone wild, obsessive crushes, marathon phone calls and rebellious drinking sums it up. My first job in retail at the mall forced me to grow-up and learn to find my own way. It was the first time I got to know people outside of my age/socio/eco demographic -- middle-aged divorcees, party-crazed university students, single parents, Lebanese, French Canadians, Pakistanis. These were real people and I'll never forget them. Figure skating, piano, swimming gave way to shopping, working and boyfriends. I was one of those girls who plunged into serious relationships that lasted years. My first love was five years my senior, Persian and an asshole. But he adored me, his trophy girlfriend (hard to believe I was once sweet and submissive) and we were gaga for each other in spite of the crazy fights. I held on for longer than I should have probably because my parents vehemently disapproved of me dating a Muslim. They never even met him in person FFS. I know that I'm supposed to stop blaming my parents, but we lost of a lot of years and did a lot of damage to our familial relationship. I vow to never kick my kids out and to accept whomever they choose. Definitely found my groove in university amongst other capitalist, vocal Type As in B. School. The awkward puritan teen had become a hot (who wasn't hot in their prime) and confident young woman, ready to take on the business world and make a name for herself.
Wow, when I look back at how different my values were and how juxtaposed my partner is to my first serious boyfriend, it's hard to believe that I'm the same person. But then again, I still act and feel like I'm in my 20s.

No comments:

Post a Comment