Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What's in the box?

Any day now the SharePoint team is going to traipse over to my desk and ask me what metadata to apply to information stored in SharePoint -- not just the fields (that's the easy part), but the controlled vocabulary too. What's in the drop down box D? Panic attack. I haven't got a clue. I have a better sense of what might work, but I have no idea how to get there. So much pressure to create a bullet-proof solution -- the right combination of terms that will let users find exactly what they are looking for, understand it's raison d'etre and allow us to systematically know when the information is no longer of value and can be removed. Oh, the fucking pressure! I can't go back to the users. It's too humiliating. How many times have we asked them to tell us about what they do, the information they create and use and how long they need it for. So I have to figure this out for the entire company on my own by reading and interpreting confusing legislation that requires focus which is not my specialty. I know I can do this but I don't like doing it and I'm motivated by work that I like. But there's no way out here. My career is on the line. I've got to just put my head down and get through this. Dig deep and interpret the legislation to the best of my ability -- don't be afraid to ask questions and just make a lot of assumptions. It's better than stalling, which is what I've been doing for the last 9 months. Oh the fucking pressure. Gotta take my medicine baby. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment