Saturday, July 23, 2011

Three small squeezes



I heard a personal story on DNTO this afternoon that I can't get out of my head. A woman was talking about the first time she told her husband (then boyfriend) that she loved him. She knew he was the one and blurted out her I love you, only it was not reciprocated (ugh, been there!). The rest of their walk home was awkward and silent. When they finally reached home he told her that he loved her as well and had been telling her so for weeks with a small non-verbal gesture -- when they held hands, he would give three little squeezes - I, Love, You. Years later, they still use that gesture to take them back to the early beginnings of their romance, especially when the kids are squirrely in the back seat, he'll reach across and quietly remind his wife that he loves her. I started to cry, it was so sweet. Absolutely beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment