Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Words Can Never Hurt Me

Sometimes my strength surprises me. I used to be so sensitive to other people's criticisms or unkind words. The sting would stay with me days later and I'd stay wounded. But it doesn't seem to affect me as much anymore. I don't think it's because I'm cynical and thick-skinned, nor do I have such a strong sense of self that negativity just bounces off my shining suit of armour. I just don't care. I'm better able to separate the words from the intent. I can objectively look at the other person and think "I will not let your words poison my mood or my esteem". "What you are saying is hurtful and I don't know why you feel compelled to say it, but it just makes you look bad." If it's one of those relationships that I just can't escape, then I just apply some much needed distance -- emotionally and physically. I thank grace for giving me a sign that this person is not perfect, I think of how hurtful my own words can be and then I just let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment